Thursday, June 30, 2005

Looking back

I got my first US visa 6 years back on July 1, 1999. I still remember that day. I went to US consulate with all the papers with my uncle. They didn't have appointment procedure back then. So we went around 7 AM and they started letting people in by 8 AM. I got in by 8:50 or so and after about 3-4 hours I came out with visa granted. The first thing that was on my mind when I got out was hunger! I ate veggi grilled sandwitch at what-I-considered to be high price Rs. 40/-.
(It was pretty big too, as I couldn't finish it then inspite very hungry).

Six years! Wow...time flew just like that..or at least that is what I think. A major part of that time was spent in earning what I thought would make me happy -- was my dream. Yes, I got my Ph.D. I knew all along that Ph.D. doesn't give all answers, but it makes one realize how many questions remain. (sort of open ended problems). I recall talking to my friend Manisha who had started her Ph.D. before me when I said: 'Doing research is like solving a jigsaw puzzle. You are collecting all pieces and then see if they fit together and whether you can see the picture'. Well, it was a simple analogy. I do think that as I stumbled upon different challenges as part of my doctoral work, I was doing the same thing -- rather unknowingly.

Now, I wonder, isn't our life the same? We are trying to unravel one pattern a day at a time. We don't know what lies ahead of us, we at times have regrets about what happened in the past, we are also happy about some memories and we live on. Collecting a pattern at a time. Living the puzzle itself. And one hopes that at the end of this journey one will have a perfect picture.
Hm...sounds very poetic (yeah, theoretical!).

If you truly live each and every moment of life, won't you see the picture is perfect everytime?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home